Benefits of MHEA Membership
Why should you pay to join MHEA? What will MHEA membership do for you? Where exactly do our MHEA funds go? The following are just some of the benefits/answers to these questions:
The membership fee goes a long way to provide information, activities, and protection for your family. It covers such things as:
• The website and bi-monthly newsletter- News & Views - are the main forms of information for all members of MHEA. News & Views may be received in hard copy or viewed online at the website. We also have a Facebook page and Constant Contact to give us the ability to keep our member families informed.
• A local office with part-time staff to provide assistance as needed.
• Special services and events are provided at the local level, such as the Used Book Sale, Homeschool Expo, Achievement Testing, High School Connections, maintaining our website, homeschool resources, and much more, (browse the website to see many of the events and activities provided by MHEA).
• Local networking opportunities are available through participating activity groups such as HiS Choir, ETA Honor Society, SWAT Speech and Debate, and Yearbook Staff, as well as support groups which offer opportunities for co-op classes, field trips, holiday parties, etc. for students, and encouragement for parents.
• Opportunities to participate in a variety of sports teams, many of which excel at the national level (listing of available sports can be found under the Sports tab on the website).
• A graduation ceremony and banquet for MHEA homeschool graduates.
MHEA membership also gives you automatic membership in THEA, which is Tennessee's state-wide homeschool association. THEA benefits Tennessee homeschoolers by monitoring legislation and following court battles involving homeschoolers, and hosting periodic exhibits and receptions for legislators, as well as hosting the annual Homeschool Rally Day in Nashville each April. THEA serves as a liaison between homeschool families and public officials, and provides representation at local, state-wide, and even national homeschool meetings. In addition, THEA coordinates a state-wide homeschool support network through its eight chapters.
MHEA membership is open to all homeschoolers, regardless of personal beliefs. Once you join, membership cards will be provided for you and your spouse; hang on to those cards, as they are valuable! Your membership number is needed on your correspondence, checks, and registration forms. Also, most MHEA events throughout the year are for card-carrying members only. Teacher discounts are also available at some merchants - just present your MHEA card.
We hope this information has been helpful in explaining how MHEA/THEA membership benefits all homeschooling families in this area. We are here to help!